clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Bruins Vs. Canucks: Boston Taking No Prisoners, 4-0 Lead Into First Intermission

After Johnny Boychuk and Mason Raymond got tangled up in the corner and Raymond went down just 20 seconds into the game, it was only a matter of time before things got chippy. 

Little did anyone expect, the Bruins would net two goals before they did. 

Raymond had to be helped off the ice, looking very much like he wouldn't return as he struggled to stand up on the long trek to the bench, and the Bruins took advantage of a stunned Vancouver team - and a sleepy Roberto Luongo - en route to two early goals. 

The first was another highlight reel beauty from Brad Marchand, who gobbled up a loose puck at the blue line and beat Luongo high on the short side with a beautiful wrister. The one goal would have been enough to get under a shaky Luongo's skin, but just 35 seconds later, Milan Lucic fired a shot at his pads which squibbed through and trickled into the net behind him.

After Alexander Edler went for going high on Rich Peverley, the Bruins power play worked the puck around the zone and Andrew Ference found a wide-open lane to shoot into, and shoot into it he did. The puck deflected above Luongo's glove for Boston's third goal in 3:04, chasing the gold-medal winning goaltender just 8:35 into the first game after he claimed that his style was superior to that of his opponent, Tim Thomas

Cory Schneider came into the game to a collection of muted cheers, but it mattered little, as just 70 seconds later, Michael Ryder deflected a Tomas Kaberle blast past the former Boston College Eagle, giving the Bruins a 4-0 lead just 9:45 into the game. 

Vancouver managed to tilt the ice a little bit as the period wore on, at one point getting five straight shots on Thomas, but the Bruins' netminder was up to the task, aided briefly by Alexandre Burrows whiffing on a wide open side. 

With three minutes remaining in the period, Vancouver got tired of being pushed around and decided to skate a sixth man. They did, and for about ten seconds, got away with it before they were finally whistled for having too many men on the ice. 

The Bruins failed to convert, but Thomas stopped Jannik Hansen on a breakaway to end the power play by pushing the winger outside and forcing him to shoot at the apron.