ESPNBoston is reporting that the Boston Bruins will announce Monday that center Marc Savard will miss the remainder of the season due to concussion-related issues.
Savard, who suffered a concussion during a game against the Colorado Avalanche on January 22nd, was examined by team doctors over the past few days in Boston. After his medical tests, Savard and his agent met with Bruins' general manager Peter Chiarelli. Savard had spent most of the last two weeks resting in his home in Peterborough, Ontario.
ESPNBoston writer Joe McDonald says that while the Bruins brass wouldn't give an official word on Savard after Sunday's team practice. Earlier this week, as the team was preparing for Savard to arrive in Boston for testing, Chiarelli mentioned that the probability that the 12-year veteran would be shut down for the season was high.
The January 22nd injury was Savard's second concussion within a calendar year. Just a week prior to this recent concussion, he admitted being "dazed," but not concussed, by a hit in a game against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Savard had missed the first 23 games of this season after suffering with post-concussion syndrome in the off-season Comcast SportsNet New England's Joe Haggerty says that Savard is suffering the same symptoms now:
"Savard is still experiencing headaches, irritability and dizziness as a result of his latest concussion two weeks later, and appears to be suffering from the same post-concussion syndrome symptoms that hampered him last season and again this summer."
The announcement about Savard will take place around the Bruins' scheduled Monday practice.