This summer promises to be one of the more interesting and possibly tumultuous offseasons in recent memory for the Celtics. Not only is Doc Rivers considering retiring, but the team faces numerous question marks in regards to the current roster and who may or may not be back next season.
CelticsBlog provides a comprehensive and quick look at the commitment status of all 15 players on Boston's active roster as of Game 7 in the NBA Finals.
- Tony Allen - free agent
- Ray Allen - free agent
- Marquis Daniels - free agent
- Glen Davis - under contract for one more year
- Michael Finley - free agent (retiring?)
- Tony Gaffney - free agent (summer league invite?)
- Kevin Garnett - under contract for 2 more years
- Oliver Lafayette - free agent (summer league invite?)
- Kendrick Perkins - under contract for one more year but hurt
- Paul Pierce - opt out option
- Nate Robinson - free agent
- Rajon Rondo - locked up (thank goodness)
- Brian Scalabrine - free agent - I'm starting my "keep Scal as an assistant coach campaign" now
- Rasheed Wallace - pondering retirement - possible buyout?
- Shelden Williams - free agent
Assuming that Pierce stays with Boston and does not exercise his option, and that 'Sheed retires, the Celtics are currently in position to have just five players under contract for next year (Big Baby, KG, Perkins, Rondo and Pierce).
Should make for quite the interesting summer, indeed.