David Ortiz said on Friday before the Boston Baseball Writers Dinner that he does not expect to reach a deal with the Boston Red Sox prior to an arbitration hearing.
"I don't know," said the DH when asked if he expected an agreement to be reached before a hearing. "It doesn't seem like it right now." (via WEEI)
Ortiz, who reportedly turned down a two-year offer that would have paid him $9 million per season, asked for $16.5 million prior to his arbitration hearing. The Red Sox will start the arbitration with an asking price of $12.65 million.
The hearings will be held from Feb. 1-20. Ortiz's agent, Fern Cuza, said he spoke to Boston general manager Ben Cherington about possible contract figures last week.
"This is the first time I've paid attention to it," said Ortiz of the arbitration process. "It might be a big deal, but it doesn't seem like it to me."