Boston College Eagles linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis was named to the 2012 Rotary Lombardi watch list on Monday.
Pierre-Louis will try to follow in the footsteps of BC linebacker Luke Kuechly who won the award last season. Pierre-Louis made the freshman All-America team in 2010 and had 93 tackles. He had 74 tackles last season despite missing three games due to injury.
Here are the criteria to be eligible for the Lombardi Award:
• Offensive or defensive end-to-end down linemen who set up no farther than 10 yards to the left or right of the ball
• Linebackers who set up no farther than five yards deep from the line of scrimmage.
All candidates must be eligible to play college sports under the rules and regulations of the NCAA.
The candidates earned a place on the watch list by:
• Earning All-American honors last season
• Being named last season to their respective all-conference first team as determined by the conference's head coaches
• Being projected to be an All-American or first team all-conference player for the coming season
• Nomination approved by the nominations committee (via NCAA)
Pierre-Louis was also named to the 2012 Bronko Nagurski Trophy watch list this offseason.