The 2012 Olympic Games in London will begin in just a few days, and one of the most anticipated sporting events of the summer games is swimming. Though, most American will be watching Team USA swimming because of Michael Phelps, there's a local tie that SB Nation Boston fans can get behind -- Elizabeth Beisel.
Beisel, a native of Saunderstown, RI, will be a part of the women's swim team and compete in the 200-meter backstroke and 400m individual medley. Beisel should enter the 400m individual medley as America's best chance for a gold medal, as she qualified first in the Olympic trails in June. In the 200m backstroke, Beisel qualified second just behind teammate Missy Franklin.
Besiel competed in the '08 Beijing Olympics where she finished fourth and third in her two events. Below is Besiel's events schedule:
- Thursday, Aug. 2: Prelims, starting at 6:31 a.m. ET
- Thursday, Aug. 2: Semis, starting at 2:54 p.m. ET
- Friday, Aug. 3: Finals, starting at 2:30 p.m. ET
- Saturday, July 29: Qualifying, starting at 6:17 a.m. ET
- Saturday, July 29: Finals, starting at 3:09 p.m. ET
For more on Team USA Basketball's run in the 2012 London Olympics, stay tuned to this StoryStream.